United Nations Mission in Afghanistan, (UNAMA)
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction and supervision of the Chief Engineering Officer and the delegated authority of the mission. The responsibilities of the Design Engineer include but are not limited to the following:
- Apply complex engineering design principles, practices and precedents for initiating and completing project design, drawings and specifications related to new construction or repair of buildings , prefabricated structures, other infrastructure, including the production of Bill of Quantities;
- Conduct preliminary site investigations to obtain field data such a site orientation, climatic conditions, soil characteristics, drainage and other data required for selection of sites within the field mission;
- Prepare detailed architectural drawings, designs and specifications for accommodation structures (both office and residential) and other infrastructure for UNAMA;
- Plan and prepare layouts of camps and building clusters for mission headquarters, regional and provincial locations;
- Conduct space planning in accordance with standard criteria, scales and concepts;
- Assist with the scheduling of task assignments, and prepare project status reports;
- Prepare detailed architectural and working drawings for horizontal and vertical construction projects as assigned;
- Maintain drawing and design records and the drawing/specification library for the UNAMA Drawing and Design Office;
- Develop specifications for engineering projects, goods and services;
- Prepare cost estimates for new construction projects, and also estimates for repairs to damaged buildings, facilities and systems in order to determine whether repair or replacement are cost effective and feasible;
- Analyze project proposals to ensure technical feasibility and to ensure project objectives are attainable within the prescribed resources;
- Liaise with internal ( cross sectional) and external stakeholders to resolve challenges through teamwork;
- Undertake research to gather information related to engineering projects; Prepare engineering presentation using up to date technologies.
- Professionalism - Ability to grasp medium sized complex engineering design concepts; adopt a logical , sharp and flexible approach to solving problems;
- Vision – Ability to identify key strategic issues, opportunities and risks;
- Planning and organizing – Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor own work plan and those under his/her supervision;
- Communication – Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively;
- Technology Awareness – Solid computer and engineering related database management skills. Ability to utilize and operate common Engineering related software, and use AutoCad, spreadsheets, power point presentations, and project management applications (Microsoft Project)
- Teamwork – Respect for diversity. Ability to establish and maintain effective relations with people of different national and cultural background.
- University Degree (Bachelors Degree or equivalent) Architecture.
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience related to UN engineering activities design , development of SOW’s , site supervision , plant operation, contract management , financial regulations, field operations, etc.;
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential;
Knowledge and understanding of relevant UN administrative, engineering and procurement policies and procedures.
email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org